Insights from Our Experts
Which is a better framework - Django Oscar or PHP Magento?
Magento is a widely used PHP framework for e-commerce websites. It is an open source technology providing platform that offers control over the functionality, look and content of online stores. Magento uses Zend PHP and MySQL database. It has a very large community and is highly scalable. Adding functionalities is made easier via a good plug-in system. Both community and enterprise editions support mobile devices extremely well.
Oscar is an e-commerce framework based on Django used for building domain-driven applications. It has flexibility baked into its core so that complicated requirements can be elegantly captured. It has extensible core i.e. any class can be overridden, replaced and extended. It provides well-designed set of modules for both large and small projects.
It can be easily plugged-in as a Django app and integrated with other apps for extending functionalities. Being developed over Django it already possesses the advantages of Django. If you are an experienced Django developer you can completely customize Oscar's codebase according to your needs.
- Handles any product type including downloadable products, subscriptions and child products.
- Customizable products.
- Large catalogue support. Oscar is used in production by sites with more than 20 million products.
- Multiple fulfilment partners for the same product.
- A range of merchandising blocks for promoting products throughout your site.
- Sophisticated offers that support virtually any kind of offer you can think of - multi-buys, bundles, buy X get 50% off Y etc
- Vouchers (built on top of the offers framework)
- Comprehensive dashboard that replaces the Django admin completely
- Support for complex order processing such split payment orders, multi-batch shipping and order status pipelines.
- Extension libraries available for many payment gateways including PayPal, GoCardless and DataCash.
A large number of developers are using Django to build ecommerce websites. The con is that you need to know Django in order to build application in Oscar which could be a cumbersome job. On the other hand Magento is widely used too as it uses PHP and is easier to use. But if you are looking at the prospects of scaling your application someday, choose a framework like Django .It might take time but it is worthwhile. Otherwise for quick development choose PHP as it is not bad for ecommerce. Here are some pros and cons.